- The day of surgery my BMI was 47.2 which puts it in the morbidly obese category. Today my BMI is 37.2 which is in the obese category. That is a 10 point drop in one year. Amazing.
- Since the day of surgery I have lost 58 pounds. Fantastic.
- The day of surgery I was in a 26/28 pant. Today I am in an 18. Unbelievable.
- I have lost 45% of my excess body fat. Awesome.
Now I will not lie to you and say that I am over the moon with the above. I would have liked to lose more but the reality is my weight will be a lifelong struggle. I got off track over the holidays and just could not get back on the horse. However, my bandiversary has sparked a renewed effort in getting that BMI down, getting under 200 pounds and continue to shrink in size. I am very happy that my band helped me to not GAIN weight during my busy season and I know I have a lot to be grateful for.
Shortly after surgery, I considered what I wanted my goal weight to be. I now realize that I may never be the weight all the charts describe. I have accepted that reality and embrace myself for who I am and where I am. I have certainly had some emotional moments this past year letting go of some of the pain I felt from being obese. I know now that I was in complete denial as to what I really looked like. I knew I was fat but never processed the truth of it. I think that has been the hardest part of this year; coming to terms with being truly honest with myself. I still have trouble looking at those old pictures but know it is essential in my journey.
On to happy thoughts. Below are my favorite non scale victories over this past year.
- By far one of the best is being able to comfortably sit in a theater seat. I have not been on a plane since my surgery but know not using the seat belt extender will be awesome as well.
- Being able to slide right into a booth seat. Before I had to work my stomach in first.
- Buying clothes in the REGULAR women's section. Not the plus size section.
- David and Ashleigh being able to hug me with their arms ALL the way around me
I want to thank all my family and friends who have supported me this past year. I love you all so much.